Love West Dulwich, an alliance of local businesses and residents working to promote the area, launches on 20th September with special offers and events running across a number of local stores. Here, The Resident shares five of its favourite things about West Dulwich
1 Grand architecture
In addition to the inimitable Dulwich College, designed by architect Charles Barry Junior, the area hides a number of impressive buildings. There’s Belair House (pictured above), a Georgian mansion dating back to 1726, the grand, Gothic-style Grade I-listed All Saints Church, Kingswood House, a Grade II-listed Victorian mansion, and The Rosendale pub, a historic coaching house that still retains its original Royal Doulton tiles.
2 Alleyn Park Garden Centre
77 Park Hall Road SE21 8ES; 020 8670 7788
Declared the ‘Best garden centre in south London’ by The Independent on Saturday, as part of its 50 Best Garden Centres in Britain article, Alleyn Park Garden Centre is a real asset to the area. On Love West Dulwich launch day, the team will be taking a break from preening their perennials for an evening soiree with a live jazz band and barbecue from 6-9pm.
40 Martell Road SE21 8EN
No, we haven’t lost our marbles –this is a seriously cool business centre. The grand, industrial architecture of the old Pye Electronics building on Martell Road is home to a hub of creative industries like Rococo Chocolates and Volcano Coffee, which also runs the popular cafe.
4 the dulwich trader
To celebrate its 25th anniversary this year, one of our favourite lifestyle stores, the dulwich trader has undergone a swish new refit. As well as checking out the new store on launch day, you can also catch a furniture painting demonstration using Annie Sloan’s Chalk Paints, which are specially designed for professional-looking upcycling projects. The demonstrations run all day long.
9-11 Croxted Road SE21 8SZ; 020 8761 3457
5 Beautiful people
Those predisposed to pampering are spoiled for choice here. As well as Lesley Leale-Green, one of London’s leading beauty clinics offering the latest advanced-technology treatments, you can also choose from Polished salon, offering luxury manicures, pedicures and more, Lawler Steel boutique hair salon, Jo Partridge Hair & Beauty and Kiki Hair & Beauty, which offers some of the best waxes around. On Love West Dulwich launch day, Queen Bee Styling is offering expert wardrobe tips at Lawler Steel (1am-2pm) and Polished is launching its new Lavender Pedicure, as well as offering free skin consultations, mini massages and 10% off all retail.
LOVE WEST DULWICH LAUNCH EVENT
Shops, businesses and residents will be celebrating with a variety of family-friendly events and offers including food tastings, live music, children’s face painting, reading events, beauty consultations, furniture painting workshops, prizes, goodie bags and a BBQ. Here’s what’s happening at a glance:
- Polished: free skin consultations, discounts and Prosecco
- Wigwam: children’s face painting and pop corn
- Tea West: buy one coffee get one free, 10am-2pm
- Scotch Meats: serving up pulled pork baps
- The Rosendale: free pie with every pint of ale
- Volcano Coffee House: coffee tasting experience, 2pm-3pm
- The Dulwich Trader: furniture painting workshop/advice
- Jo Partridge: drinks, nibbles and goodie bags
- Thomas Schoolwear: 10% off all sports goods
- Dulwich Books: treasure hunt, kids story telling, 11am-noon
- Halfmoon Studio: kid’s printmaking class (6yrs+), 2pm-4pm
- Dulwich Bakery: lunchtime BBQ
- La Gastronomia: a Tuscan tasting
- Lawler Steel: wardrobe tips with Queen Bee Stylist, 11am-2pm
- Jaadu: teatime chat with Sheanagh from Maison Bengal, 2pm-4pm
- In-toto Kitchens: bread making demonstration, 11am
- Alleyn Park Garden Centre: evening soiree, 6pm-9pm
- All Saints Church: BBQ, music, fun for children, bike repairs and craft stalls, 2pm-5pm