A very different early Christmas shopping opportunity comes to Herne Hill this weekend, when seven artists and craftspeople in SE24 and SE21 join forces to present a special Open House event
The Herne Hill Open House Christmas Craft Sale, running 8-9 November 2014, will showcase a range of unique, handcrafted jewellery, textiles, stationery, cushions, glassware, mirrors, original art, festive decorations and more.
The idea sprang from the success of this year’s Artists’ Open House event during the 2014 Dulwich Festival. Local craftsperson Catherine Potter and her neighbouring artists had such an enthusiastic response from the public – with many asking when they would be doing another event – that Catherine decided to create a local ‘art and crafts’ hub and organise a pre-Christmas sale in the relaxed surroundings of three local houses.
Catherine is also a strong supporter of the local charity 4ALL-Building Community in West Dulwich and spotted an opportunity to do some much-needed fundraising on its behalf. Her entrance fee of £1 (which includes a glass of mulled wine, coffee or tea and mince pie) is being donated to the community charity, plus 10% of the takings from all exhibitors at her house.
Prices range from 50p stocking fillers to £75 and the houses are open 11am-6pm on Saturday 8 and 11am-4pm on Sunday 9 November.
It’s a great opportunity to meet some local artists in relaxed, friendly surroundings and snap up some unique, high quality gifts in good time for Christmas!
VENUE A: 21 Hawarden Grove, Herne Hill SE24 9DQ
1. Catherine Potter – upcycled textiles and buttons used to create a host of decorative, seasonal and gift items
2. Handmade in Hammersmith – recycled tweeds and other textiles made into beautiful new bags and pouches
3. One of a Kind Jewellery – one-off designs combining rare vintage beads, Italian and Czech glass, ceramic, resin and amber
4. Alison Watt-Cooper – drawings, prints and cards, inspired by local flora and fauna
5. Joy Fitzsimmons – cards, notebooks, tea towels, prints. Designs for all dachshund lovers!
VENUE B: 47 Pymers Mead, Herne Hill SE21 8NH
6. Alex R – unique creations from the Glass Studio: bowls and dishes, wall hangings, mirrors and glass decorations for the home
VENUE C: 84 Croxted Road, Herne Hill SE21 8NP
7. Catherine Mitchell – jewellery crafted in silver with semi-precious stones and pearls. Catherine’s Open House is also running on Friday 7 November