The Resident has teamed up with Bovey Castle in Dartmoor to offer you the chance to win a two-night stay for two people, with breakfast and dinner in the Great Western Restaurant. With rooms full of splendour, fine dining to die for and stunning surrounds, Bovey Castle is the perfect escape for Londoners in need of an indulgent getaway
Words: Bethan Andrews
There are not many people who would turn down a night in a castle with a luxury room and a bathroom the size of most living rooms, which is what you get at Bovey Castle in Dartmoor, a location of stunning natural beauty.
Standing in an impressive 275 acres of rolling valleys, Bovey Castle has a long history, having originally been opened as a resort in 1930 by Great Western Railways. Now, the castle boasts 60 bedrooms, 22 self-catering lodges nestled in the grounds, two restaurants, the Elan Spa and an award-winning 18-hole championship golf course. For those wanting a weekend away that feels detached from the city, but still with plenty to do, then this is the one for you.
And rest assured that your sleeping quarters in this stately place will be beyond beautiful. The windows in many of the rooms take your breath away, offering a floor to ceiling view of the landscape beyond. Each room reflects the luxurious hospitality that Bovey Castle is renowned for.
It was certainly a nice touch to find a thimble of sloe gin on our bedsides for a nightcap when returning to our room – there isn’t anything that they won’t do for you here. That goes for the large array of activities on offer too. You are spoilt for choice with the range of country pursuits available to experience here including off-roading, shooting, falconry and sloe-gin making. The hotel will even create a bespoke itinerary for your stay if you so wish, therefore you can make it as special or relaxed as can be.
When it comes to the food offering at Bovey Castle it is, again, extensive and doesn’t stop at one experience. The casual brasserie has a lovely setting, but there is afternoon tea on the terrace too. The fine dining is second to none, though, and worth splashing out on.
Head Chef Mark Budd, who has worked at the world’s finest restaurants and cooked for the Royal Family, has a passion for provenance and using the best local produce in his menus. His wonderful creations include the Bovey Meadow dessert of cream cheese ice cream, Perry poached pear, bee pollen and honeycomb. Fancy a romantic but adventurous escape? Bovey Castle awaits…
Overnight stays start at £179 for a Classic Room for two. But The Resident and Bovey Castle are giving away a two-night stay for two people, with breakfast and dinner in the Great Western Restaurant. To be in with a chance to win, enter below:
The prize breakdown is as follows:
- Two night stay in a Superior Castle room for two – £440
- Dinner in the GW – £110
- Total prize value – £550
Terms & Conditions:
- Prize offered subject to availability.
- The prize consists of a two-night stay for two people in a Castle room, with breakfast each morning and dinner in the Great Western on one evening.
- Dinner must be booked prior to arrival (£55 allocation per person).
- Travel to and from Bovey Castle is not included in the prize but can be arranged at an additional cost.
- There is no cash alternative and the prize will not be transferable.
- The stay must be taken and booked within six months. Prize not valid Christmas and New Year, school holidays or bank holiday weekends.
- All other purchases to be settled on departure.
- Competition closes on 30 August 2016 at 2pm. The winner will be notified shortly after.
Dartmoor National Park, North Bovey TQ13 8RE; 01647 445000; boveycastle.com