Want whiter teeth? There’s no need to resort to drastic measures. Here, Dr Richard Marques of Wimpole Street Dental – dentist to celebrities including Rita Ora, Sadie Frost and Tom Daley – shares his top 10 natural teeth whitening tips
1. Use Baking Soda: it’s a natural cleaning & oxidising agent and will gradually whiten your teeth. Mix 1/4tsp with water and apply to the teeth using your toothbrush, or add to your toothpaste.
2. Eat strawberries: due to the Malic acid, which is a natural cleanser, these can naturally whiten your teeth.
3. Warm salt water will help to both whiten your teeth and looks after your gums with its antibacterial properties. Mix a tsp of good quality salt with boiled, but cooled down, water.
4. Eat white foods: Avoid pigmented foods such as beetroot & blueberries, and eat chicken, rice & fish to avoid staining your teeth.
5. Drink water or milk: water is a natural cleanser whilst the calcium in milk will help strengthen tool enamel and your jaw bone. You can also drink lemonade or tonic water, and white wine is better than red.
6. Use charcoal: it’s an 100% natural tooth polish that strengthens gums, removes toxins from the mouth and absorbs bacteria. I recommend Diamond Whites’ Black Edition for £16.99 at Superdrug.
7. Use an electric toothbrush: they can remove up to 70% more plaque than manual brushes alone, and I love the new Sonicare Black Diamond brush!
8. Eat hard cheese: another great naturally cleansing food that can strengthen the teeth with the calcium content.
9. Oil pulling: use a tbsp of coconut oil and swill in the mouth for as long as you can, ideally 15mins, to remove bacteria & lubricate the teeth to prevent stains from sticking.
10. See your dentist regularly: to not only keep your teeth clean & healthy, but you can also consider professional in-clinic laser teeth whitening.