The countdown to Notting Hill Carnival is on, and there’s no better way to get in the party spirit than with delicious Caribbean-inspired food. Try this jerk chicken salad recipe from The Rum Kitchen below
You will need:
4 boned out chicken legs with the skin
200g of your favourite jerk marinade (see how to make this more punchy below)
1 red pepper thinly sliced
1 yellow pepper thinly sliced
1 cucumber halved with the core removed then sliced to make moons
1 mango skinned and chopped into 1 inch chunks
100g coconut flakes
1 red chilli seeds removed and sliced
50g coconut oil
50g lemon juice
50g pineapple juice
10g chilli flakes
To cook the chicken:
1. Place chicken legs in a plastic tub and coat with jerk marinade. Cover and place in the fridge for 24 hours.
2. To cook the chicken either fire up the BBQ and wait for the flames to die down. Place the chicken away from the direct heat with the skin facing down. Slowly cook until crispy then finish cooking the other side. To cook in a pan, place a non stick pan on a medium heat with a little oil inside. Place chicken skin side down and cook in the same way as the BBQ method.
To make the salad and dressing:
1.Place all ingredients in a bowl and keep out of the fridge for 30 minutes before serving to bring it up to room temperature.
2. Mix lemon juice, pineapple juice and chilli flakes in a plastic bowl then leave to infuse for 1 hour in the fridge.
3. Slowly add coconut oil whilst whisking to emulsify dressing.
Build the dish:
1. Mix half the dressing into the salad and place salad in serving bowl.
2. Cut the chicken into strips and top the salad.
3. Finish by drizzling the remaining dressing over the top.
Want to make your marinade more punchy? Blend the ingredients below together:
2 tsp of your favourite jerk marinade (we like Dunn’s)
1 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp cumin powder
30g rice wine vinegar
300g tomato ketchup