DUKES LONDON has just taken its afternoon tea up a notch by collaborating with GBBO’s Selasi Gbormittah for British Food Fortnight
Lead image: Selasi at DUKES LONDON (photo: Jose Da Silva)
Selasi Gbormittah might not have won Great British Bake Off Series 7 – Candice Brown took that crown – but the cool, calm, collected biker/banker/baker certainly won the nation’s hearts.
And now, the semi-finalist has launched an exclusive Signature Afternoon Tea for DUKES LONDON, the quintessentially British hotel in St James’s, in collaboration with Chef Nigel Mendham.
Created for British Food Fortnight and available from 21 September to 6 October 2019, the new afternoon tea menu celebrates the biggest annual national event for British food and drink.
The menu makes the best of both Selasi’s signature contemporary twist and Nigel’s signature focus on exceptional ingredients, featuring delicately-designed sweet treats like the decadent chocolate cluster with orange cream and crunchy feuilletine, and a fig and almond tart with spiced almond cream, toasted almonds and a honey glaze.
The weaving together of chocolate and citrus flavours is a signature of Selasi’s, his ‘all-time go to flavours’.
‘Chocolate is such a versatile ingredient,’ he says. ‘It is loved by most if not all and it pairs so well with citrus which is equally as versatile and dominant in its own right.’
‘The menu makes the best of both Selasi’s signature contemporary twist and Nigel’s signature focus on exceptional ingredients’
The sandwich selection include the H. Forman’s London-cure smoked salmon with dill cream cheese on beetroot bread, and the free range egg mayonnaise with autumn truffle and watercress on white bread, reflecting Nigel’s passion for sourcing only the finest British ingredients.
Selasi is also big on seasonal ingredients, incorporating figs, which have a natural sweetness, into the afternoon tea menu to eliminate the need for excess sugar and create ‘a good dessert without the guilt’.
Selasi’s Signature Afternoon Tea for DUKES LONDON
with Chef Nigel Mendham: The Menu
- Poached chicken, tarragon mustard mayonnaise on malted grain bread
- H. Forman’s London cure smoked salmon, dill cream cheese on beetroot bread
- Baked ham, smoked cheese, tomato relish on onion bread
- Free range egg mayonnaise, autumn truffle, watercress on white bread
Warm savoury tart – broccoli, parmesan, avocado
Fruit scones and plain scones
- Chocolate & Citrus – chocolate cluster, chocolate mousse, orange cream, sponge, chocolate feuilletine
- Fig and Almond Tart – Sweet pastry, fig confit, spiced almond cream, toasted almonds, honey glaze
- Choux Surprise – choux, caramel, white chocolate mousse, pear
- BlackBerry Yuzu Financier – beurre noisette financier, blackberry confit, citrus syrup, yuzu glaze, soft whipped Crème Chantilly
Fine loose-leaf teas and infusions
- Bailey’s Dessert Week Comes to London
- London’s Best New Restaurant & Bar Openings: September 2019
- Ad Feature Eric Lanlard’s Top 5 Places to Eat Cake in Wandsworth
- BAKE OFF’S CANDICE BROWN ON CAKE, KITCHEN DISASTERS & LIPSTICK
- NEW BAKE OFF JUDGE PRUE LEITH REVEALS HER RECIPE FOR HAPPINESS
- WHAT WOULD BAKE OFF’S MARY BERRY DO?